Surviving

7. Yes, seven. That's it. That's all I have left with my students.  The past week has been a whirlwind. I feel as though I have barely slept. Papers have piled up and are staring at me to be graded. Grades are due by Friday. My kids permanent records were supposed to be finished going through last Friday. I stayed until after 5 every day last week and that still hasn't happened. I've put another child through to Special Education, yes even with just these few days left. I've been packing up my classroom, and in my opinion it looks like a disaster. 

But here's the thing - I've made it. I've made it through my first year. There were times this year, and at moments there still are, when I've been down and definitely have felt knocked down. What I've come to learn though is that this year was about survival - plain and simple, and I survived. Even more so, my kids survived me.

I'm not always sure what makes us keep going day in and day out. It's true, if you're in this profession, you're in it for the love of the job and the love of the kids. I do know I work in a grade-level with 15 other amazing teachers. I will miss them all next year. However, there are two who I know made it possible for me to survive this year. This morning the following email was in my inbox from them: 


On Monday, May 23rd, Mrs. _____ and I need to borrow your students (yes, your entire class) from 8:30-9:15

Thank you for your complete understanding and cooperation!!
No questions may be asked at this time....thank you!


My heart melted when I read this.  All I have to say is, don't ever underestimate the effect you have upon your co-workers. You never know when one small action or moment will change their entire day. If you have had the pleasure and gift of experiencing a collaboration like this, consider yourself lucky, it's rare and I'm so sad to leave it behind in 7 days. 

1 comment

  1. I'm finishing up my first year of teaching, also. I have 11 more days to go. Everything is super chaotic right now, but I feel like the end is in sight. This year has just been about survival. I do feel wiser for next year, but I know I still have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top