and every woman should, by the time she is 30...
1. experience having lived paycheck to paycheck. It makes you wiser. It makes you appreciate more. Learn how to coupon and budget. Then make sure you never have to live that way again, even if you budget and coupon for the rest of your life so that can be the case. It may take a while but you will be better for it.
2. have a scar with a great story behind it, physical or emotional, that she isn't afraid to share.
3. know how to get lost in her own city, literally. Take some back roads and trust that eventually you will get where you need to be. In the end, you will have learned a new way to get somewhere, finding some hidden treasures along the way. There is more than one way to every destination.
4. know how to eat alone. There is nothing wrong with going to eat and having a drink by yourself. Take a book or a magazine. Play a game on your phone. Times have changed and being by yourself is nothing to be ashamed of.
5. have a cute pair of running shoes, even if she doesn't run - it's the facade.
6. have an excellent black skirt, likewise a great pair of black pants, and of course a good bra.
7. own a movie she can watch repeatedly just to feel good and laugh.
8. know a go-to recipe for when company is coming or if she needs to take a meal to someone.
9. have a few recipes she can make in 20 minutes in a pinch, when there is not much in her pantry.
10. have black and white family photos. If you don't, you'll wish you did one day. Nothing lasts forever.
11. know how to cherish and nurture a friendship, but also know when to walk away. Some friendships only serve a purpose for a period of time, it doesn't mean they were any less important than the ones that remain. Hold on to the remaining friends you have. Everyone needs a couple of people who knew them when they were young.
12. not allow herself to be taken advantage of - by anyone, be it a co-worker, friend, spouse, boyfriend, etc.
13. give of herself without letting go of herself.
14. never forget where she came from.
15. love with her heart without losing her head.
16. use her head without losing her heart.
17. stand strong and stand up for what she believes in and knows is right. Less and less people do this now. It's easier to go with the majority. Don't. Don't lose yourself.
18. remain creative and young at heart. Remember what it was like to be a child and if you are fortunate enough to have children, let them be children.
19. have some good lipgloss and mascara on hand.
20. have a pair of jumper cables in her trunk.
21. have driven her car until there was absolutely 0 miles of gas left and still made it to the pump at least once.
22. know how to change a flat tire, or at least know who to call when it happens (trust me on this one).
23. own a great hairdryer and flatiron.
24. have an overnight bag or light suitcase that can be ready in a moments notice.
25. use sunscreen. Your dermatologist, children, and even yourself will thank you.
26. not take a single moment for granted, whether it's getting ice cream with friends or dinner with family, or even just hanging out and spending time together. Life is short. We never know how old we will be when we learn that lesson. Cherish it.
27. have a bottle of wine in the fridge, because ya never know!
28. know the number to a great chinese delivery place (for the Friday nights when she's had enough).
29. have at least one stamp in her passport, or at least have her passport ready to go.
30. have mistakes that she can leave behind but that have made her better in the long run. We flounder and fail. The key is not only in knowing where we we want to go in our next thirty years, but also in remembering that it is only a plan. Things change. People change. All any of us can hope for is to live in the moment, learn from the past, make the future fun, and appreciate everything along the way. Get busy!
sol17 #27: hey, it's okay
3 hours ago