Where were you?

September 11th.  Never did I think I would live during such a specific date that would become forever a part of our history. 

But there I sat, during my sophomore year of college in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Being the loser that I was I had scheduled my classes to always start at 10 or later so that I would be able to see Regis & Kelly (Nerd, yes; Late sleeper, no). That morning I woke up and turned on the TV but Regis & Kelly never came on - just the News. I didn't even look to see what was happening on the news, I just clicked it off and took my time getting ready. I checked back a little later, but still just the news. So I went ahead and walked to campus. It was a beautiful morning out so I thought I would sit and read some until my class started. 

Classes at Michigan started on either the hour or the half hour. As I was sitting reading a bunch of students came out of one building and then a few more out of another. I started to notice some more students coming out of the same building. I found it odd since it was only 10:15 and not a normal time for a class to be ending. About 10 minutes later I decided to head up the stairs in that same building to my own class, only it seemed different on this day. There were too many people coming down the stairs. Then someone said "Classes are cancelled." Well when you're in college you never really take it on the word of just one college guy - so we kept walking. A few more people said the same thing, and then our own professor came down the stairs as well and confirmed it. 



I stepped outside the building and immediately tried calling my mom at home. It took a few tries to get through. Then the first words out of my mouth, "WHAT is going on?" and the first words out of her mouth "WHERE are you?" 

Me: "I'm standing in the middle of the Diag because they just cancelled classes for the rest of the day here."
Mom: "Okay, well can you either get home or to a friends and stay there because the whole world has gone mad!"

My poor mother - one child flying helicopters in Alaska, one child in law school at Texas, and me in Michigan - she probably just wanted to know everyone was in one piece and on the ground. Me at a friends house in Michigan was the least of her worries. 

Never will I forget that day and the days that followed. The awe, the silence, the dumb foundedness, the grief stricken, the questions, the uncertainty - of us as we sat there and watched it all unfold and for the ones in the midst of it all. And in this one day all of our lives were forever changed, even in the most minute details. 



Yes the images of smoke rising and people hurt and wounded have stayed in my mind. But there's also other images that remain. Those of solidarity and unity. The feeling of safety as I walked the streets of New York City at night as it became my home for two years after college. The pride I take as a teacher in making sure my students know their RIGHT hand to place over their hearts as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The satisfaction I have in knowing I have taught my students tolerance. It's a simple word and ten years later there is still so much we have to learn, we always have had to learn. Practice it every day with those around you. 

I leave you with the lyrics of a song that came out right after 9/11. **As a note: I will say that I myself do not send my religious beliefs on any of my readers, nor are mine reflected in this song, but I do believe in the power of these words. **



Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Teaching a class full of innocent children
Driving down some cold interstate
Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
Did you dust off that bible at home
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Speak with some stranger on the street
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
Stand in line and give your own blood
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
The greatest is love

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day

No comments

Back to Top