Advice to New Teachers

As I was reading some blogs last night to try and get some inspiration going again I saw a post on Simply 2nd Resources a post for advice to new teachers. Well I sure thought I could take any advice I could get and I am still "new" so to speak. As I kept reading though, I thought back to last year which was technically my first year. However this year will be (when I ever do get a classroom) my 5th year in a classroom - two years as an assistant, one year student teaching, one year subbing, and one year in my own room. Here I am. While I feel like these to posts: My Goodbye Speech and The Top 10 Things I've Learned (so far) are some good advice and I may take from there I wanted to participate in this linky party over at Fun in Fourth.




1. GIVE IT YOUR BEST AND YOUR ALL, BUT NOT ALL OF YOU. Your best will not be perfect. As a perfectionist this was hard to learn and I still work on it, but I would often spend 11 hour days at school - sometimes people don't notice even if you want them to. You're not being paid to do it and even though it's cliche you WILL burn out. GO HOME!

2. ASK FOR HELP AND ACCEPT IT. Don't be ashamed. It's nice to think you can do it all, but the truth is this is a hard job and no one can do it on their own. It really does take a village. Find a mentor, a friend, a co-worker across the hall, even if it's someone on another grade level (I was in a trailer last year and there was only one other person out there in my grade. I didn't want to disrupt her, but I had a 3rd grade friend that could watch my class for a few if I needed to go to the bathroom). It helps. 

3. DON'T GOSSIP - make friends with your team but know when to be quiet. This will take you far! 

4. BEG, BORROW, STEAL. - I mean that in the kindest way. Build your files up your first year. I saved everything - every handout, every copy, any extra sheet there was, any email with an idea someone sent. If I get a job in 1st this year I am set! And especially with all the wonderful blogs too! 

5. SMILE. People are watching you - not just 20 kids but all the other teachers and administrators. 

6. For some kids YOU are the best part of their day. ALWAYS remember that. 

7. BE CONSISTENT. With rules and procedures - and remember there is a difference between a rule and a procedure. A procedure is in place for how our class runs. A rule is set for classroom management and there is a consequence. 

8. BE PREPARED AND ORGANIZED. Kids like to know where they are going and what they are doing. They like to know what time things are and what their schedule is. If they know the routine it helps the class run smoothly. 

I think I will end here. A lot of things have been said. If I think of more I will add to the list. 

2 comments

Back to Top