Did I Say I Wanted to Go For a Ride? ch. 11

* Author's note: You may read any of the other 10 chapters about how I got here in the posts labeled 'getting to know me'

Tuesday: 
So there I sat. On the couch. All. morning. long. I picked up my phone every five minutes - was there a call I missed? An email that came through? Nope. There was nothing. I could not take it. It was the day after my interview and the principal said that she had hoped to make a decision by the end of the day.

I went to run errands. I helped out a friend with her child. All the while still checking the phone of course. Nothing.  By then people were calling me to see if I had heard anything. I mean that was reasonable, 3:00 is kind of like the end of the day for a teacher. But not for a principal.

At 5:30 I went to my friend's (she happens to also be the parent of a former student) for dinner by the pool with her kids and our other friend (she is my former co-worker) so I would not have to wait in agony.  By 8:00 day was done we decided. I left. At 8:20 an email comes that they will need to meet with a few more people and they will need til the beginning of next week. Grrreaaat. That can't be good. 


Wednesday:
Okay so fine, I'll move ahead (oh and by move ahead, I mean run some errands, watch TV, and take a nap) while I wait. Fast forward to 10:00 p.m. and an email pops up asking if I could come in for a second interview on Friday morning at 8:30. Yes! I contact, through Facebook, someone I know on the first-grade team there to get her pumped as well. And now, it's a few more hours before I can go to bed I'm so pleased.


Thursday:
Get so thrilled. Pull dress out of closet. Take dress to mom's for her to iron. <--- You read that correctly. I do not iron. I believe in the, 'take it out of the dryer fast and shake real hard' method. Ever tried it? 5:45 p.m. an email arrives from the principal saying the following: "HR has cut the position due to low enrollment." Yes, she does say that numbers could go back up after Open House and should anything change she will let me know, but what I read was CUT POSITION. 


Yes those are the words I read a little over an hour ago. My dress is pressed. Shoot even my legs are shaved! In less than 15 hours I was supposed to be sitting in front of seven other team members feeling pretty excited about an opportunity. Instead I sit here on my couch currently in gym shorts and a Piggly Wiggly t-shirt with my head pounding and my eyes burning. Who knows, I may even wear the same outfit tomorrow.

6 comments

  1. Aaawwww... that's sooo sad. I'm sorry this is happening to you. If it makes you feel any better it's even worse in California (so don't move here). We can all pray the enrollment goes back up and that the children will show up once parents realize that yes school is back in session. Gotta love the parents that don't remember to send children back to school. Your perfect job is coming... it's just the waiting that awful :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is breaking for you....

    Stay strong, keep creating.

    Sending you good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sydney, i am so sorry! i have been thinking about you a lot lately! it doesn't make sense for teachers as great as you to go through this! i am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. you are even in my prayers!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post just makes my heart break for you.

    I have been through times like you are experiencing and they are so tough. Just waiting on God to reveal the next step is never easy. These were the times I would cling to Jer. 29:11-
    "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    God is never late or early but always right on time. I'll be jumping for joy with you when He reveals His next step for you.

    Teaching Blog Addict
    ♥Teaching with TLC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sydney, why the eff is this happening to us?!?! There has got to be a reason for this insanity! In the mean time, I am enjoying the fact that I'm still on vacation and not working and ignoring the fact that I need to figure out how to pay my bills. It WILL happen for us, it has to!!!!

    Hadar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sydney,
    My heart is broken for you! I'm so sorry to hear this. All this education mess all over the nation makes me so sick. Hang in there....I know, easier said then done. But just when you think one door is closed another one opens.

    Jennifer
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top