Yay for Savings Linky!

O-M-Gosh!! Okay, I'm Sorry. I know I was away all week. I was Sss-ICK! I don't know if my body has this weird sixth sense about knowing the instantaneous minute school is out and it can let down or if I have just built up zero immune system so far or what, but it was terrible, by Friday afternoon after seeing my doctor I was swallowing three different pills, using two nose sprays and sleeping like I didn't know what day it was. Well, I still don't know what day it is, but I did wake up this morning super excited to go cut some coupons from this Sunday's paper (once I realized it was Sunday). I know we think these are all teaching blogs per se, but for me it's more about the learning process - in the classroom and out, about ourselves and others, about daily life, and well ya get the point.  

So here is chalkboard confessional number two: I think I have just become obsesssed with couponing. Now not like mad obsessed like those people on TV who start stockpiling their items under their beds and in their bedrooms. However, this coming week I am finally moving back out on my own (WoooHoooo). I wanted to make a challenge to myself that when it comes to groceries and household items I will not buy them unless they are on sale or I have a coupon and when both happen, even better. I started building a stash this weekend: 



Now I will try and break it down for you (please do keep in mind, a few items in the box I did have, like the tea you see above, but I am packing). I did a loop of three stores Walgreens, Target, and Publix.

Walgreens: 
3 bags of Chex Mix for $3 -$.99coupon
Bayer Advanced$3.49 -$1.50coupon
Benadryl$6.49 -$2.00 peal off coupon
Palmolive$1.99 -$1.10WAGScouppon
Paid: $11.79 Saved: $11.10

Publix (always love Publix for their Buy 1, Get 1 - they will still take a coupon on it, plus they will double any coupon that is $.50 or less. - so today was great for me):
4 boxes of Ritz Whole Wheat crackers, B1G1 2 coupons for $1 off
2 packs of cottage cheese - 2/$4
liners $3.49 -$.50coupon, dbld
Newman's Own Sauce $2.39 -$.50 coupon dbld
Aunt Jemima Syrup, B1G1
Paid: $16.47 Saved: $15.94

Target:
Hershey's 6 pk. candy bars, on sale for $2.49 -$.50coupon
Gulden's mustard $1.19 -$.35 coupon
McCormick Seasoning packets (2) $.52 ea
Barilla Pasta $1.09
Barilla Pasta $1.84
Jamba Juice Smoothie (2)$2.49 ea -$1.00coupon ea.
Tropicana Apple Juice $2.39 -$.50coupon
J-ello pudding box mix b3,g1free
Oreo, B2,g$1.00 off coupon
used 2 of my own bags, saved $.10
Paid: $25.73 Saved: $8.72

Again, this isn't miraculous and I am sure others can do much better, but for my first weekend of giving this a true shot I was pretty proud of myself. I welcome all tips. Thanks Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher for hosting!



 

2 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. I have always wanted to try and save some money using coupons but haven't really given it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up!! I hope you can join each week!! It looks like you really racked up some savings.
    Julie
    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top